Monday, March 22, 2010

Calling all Daring Cooks: Chicken Tikka Masala w/Aloo Gobi & Vegetable Biryani

I absolutely do not know what possessed me to try such a feat on a Sunday night. For some reason I devised an ambitious plan to cook an entire Indian meal at 7PM. Now don't get me wrong, the meal was absolutely delicious, just not something I would ever do at that hour again. Dinner wasn't served until 10:30PM.

I didn't realize just how involved this whole undertaking would be, however it made me enjoy it all the more! This is a great menu for entertaining guests, and could quite possibly be an impressive meal for a dinner date. You just have to promise me that you really like him [you have to really like him to slave in the kitchen that long, but if food is the way to a man's heart, this is definitely the meal to cook] because I would hate to see you go through the trouble for any old Joe.

I would like to point out that I adapted this recipe to my liking from various sources. You can omit veggies, etc, but I would recommend using the spices listed in the recipe, as it lends to the authentic flavor of Indian cooking. I suppose after cooking this a few more times I could get the time down to an an hour-and-a-half [which is still long in my book]. - If you are going to attempt this meal, I would suggest getting all of your herbs/spices from an Indian or Asian market, as they are much cheaper.

RICE TIP: Because Basmati rice is super starchy, I would recommend soaking the rice for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking. [Overnight is ideal] - Also, make sure you "wash" the rice well after soaking. Use cold water to wash the rice over a sieve, you want to do this until the water is clear.




Chicken Tikka Masala {Adapted from a plethora of recipe's}
Part A:
2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
1/4 cup yogurt
3 tsp minced ginger
3 tsp crushed garlic
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
3 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp vegetable oil
Melted margarine (for basting)
Part B:
5 oz. tomato paste
10 oz. tomato puree
2 lbs. tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp green chilies
1 tbsp red chili powder
2 tsp cloves
8 green cardamoms
Salt To Taste
3 tbsp butter
2/3 cup cream
1 tsp fenugreek
2 tsp ginger, julienned
honey to taste

Whisk all of the ingredients in Part A together in a large bowl. Add the chicken breast, cut into 2 inch cubes.
Marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Bake the chicken for 8 minutes, basting with margarine twice. Drain excess marinade and bake for another 2 minutes.
While doing this, make the sauce in Part B. Deseed and chop green chilies. Put tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato puree in a pot and add approximately 4-1/4 cups of water.
Add ginger and garlic paste, green chilies, red chili powder, cloves, cardamoms, and salt. Cook over low heat until reduced to a thick sauce. Strain through a strainer and bring to a boil. Add butter and cream. Stir.
If the sauce tastes sour, add honey to taste. Add fenugreek and ginger juliennes, stir, and serve with the chicken tikka masala

Vegetable Biryiani {Adapted from numerous Indian rice recipe's}
2 cups Basmati Rice
1 cup Mixed Vegetable (cauliflower, potato, carrot, french beans)
3 Finely Sliced Onion
2 Finely Sliced Green Chillies
Salt to taste
1 tsp Red Chili Powder
1 small piece of  Cinnamon (split in half),
2 tsp Caraway Seeds
2 tsp Mustard Seeds
4 Cloves
1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
4 Tomato
1/2 cup Yogurt
4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds 
Wash the basmati rice well before cooking.Then take rice with 3-3/4 cup water and a little salt added to it.Cook it in pressure cooker, pan, or microwave.  
Cut all the vegetables into small thin pieces and fry in oil until browned [Once brown, set aside]  
Take 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, green chili, cinnamon, caraway seeds, cloves, black pepper powder and stir for about half minute. Then add onions and saute them for a minute or until golden  
Add salt and red chili powder and stir.  
Add fine chopped tomatoes and fry until they are soft.  
Add yogurt, and cook for about 2 minutes.  
Add all the fried vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes  
Add cooked rice and mix well  
Serve and garnish w/coriander leaves
    Aloo Gobi Recipe
    2 lbs Potatoes 
    2lbs Cauliflower florets
    2 tbsp Oil
    1 tsp Cumin seeds
    1 tsp. Chopped green chillies
    1 tsp Coriander Powder
    1 tsp Cumin Powder
    1/4 tsp Chili Powder
    1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
    1 tsp Chopped coriander leaves
    Salt To Taste
    Par boil the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
    Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the cumin seeds for about 2 minutes, until they begin to splutter. Add the green chilli and fry for a further 1 minute.
    Add the cauliflower florets and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, the ground spices and salt and cook for 7-10 minutes, until the vegetable are tender.
    Garnish the aloo gobi with coriander and serve with tomato and onion salad and pickle.

      6 comments:

      1. This looks amazing! I just passed by a really great Indian restaurant yesterday in Salt lake City called Star of India, it is sooooo good. These pictures make my mouth drool, my gawd!

        Oh, and the TJ Maxx's in Salt Lake City are packed with namebrand natural hair and bath goodies because there are no other Black girls here to snatch 'em up:-D They're mine, all miiiiine! It's also where I buy the HUGE Giovanni deep conditioners(I'm talkin the 32 oz size with the pump!) for only $12.99

        These people just don't know! It's alos how I find the best pieces at thrift stores, no one else appreciates them. I found a gorgeous Ralph Lauren winter coat for only $4.00. I wish I was back in L.A. so I could stop by that Sunday sidewalk sale at Jet Rag!

        ReplyDelete
      2. where can i find heavy cream?

        ReplyDelete
      3. I recently discovered this dish about a month ago...fell in love with it when I went out with a group of co-workers. Soon after, saw it in the frozen food section, in a local supermarket, and purchased it...I've been dying to make this dish, NOW BECAUSE OF YOU (you're such an inspiration), I will attempt it.
        Thanks soooo much for sharing!!!

        ReplyDelete
      4. What camera do you use? You photos are so vivid!

        ReplyDelete
      5. I enjoy cooking, especially when I have different, fun and new recipes. I will definitely be using many of your recipes. Thanks Lady!

        ReplyDelete

      Related Posts with Thumbnails